Dungeness Crab Saladwith Asian Pear, Mango & Avocado
- Executive Chef Stephen Smith
- 6 oz crab meat
- 1 large mango, peeled & diced
- 1 Asian pear, peeled, seeded & diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 oz pinenuts, toasted
- 1 Meyer lemon, juice & zest
- 1 oz seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 oz olive oil
- 2 heads Frisée cleaned and separated - or other crisp spring salad mix
- 8 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 tbl chopped Italian parsley
- Combine crab, mango, pear and avocado in bowl. In another bowl combine the
Meyer lemon juice and zest, vinegar, fennel, pepper, sugar, and salt to taste.
Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking. Pour dressing over crab mixture and toss.
Mix Frisée with chopped basil, divide between 4 plates, and mound to form a “nest” for the crab mixture. Garnish salad with toasted pinenuts, cherry tomatoes, and parsley.
Wine Pairing Recommendations:Wine Pairing by Mark Bowery, Albion River Inn Wine & Spirits Cellar Master
Mark recommends a Chardonnay - Londer, Kent Ritchie Vineyard, Sonoma Coast, 2004 - to enjoy with our Savory Crab Salad. “Pure aromas of mango, guava, papaya and citrus are interwoven with the essence of toasted croissant and a hint of ginger. On the palate, it is well structured and quite generous, displaying thick layers of tropical fruit, green apple (Asian pear?) and a hint of butterscotch. While decidedly rich and mouth filling, this tasty Chardonnay finishes crisply and in balance thanks to admirable acid levels.”