Grand Marnier Bread Pudding- Executive Chef Stephen Smith
- 2 small loaves sweet French bread ~ remove crusts and cube
- (approximately 12 cups, loosely packed)
- 4 oz Grand Marnier
- 2 oranges ~ zest and juice
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 12 oz heavy cream
- 12 oz milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 12 whole eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
For Garnish: French vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and a few sprigs of mint
- In a large bowl sprinkle Grand Marnier over bread cubes & set aside.
- In large saucepan combine milk, cream, white sugar, orange juice, zest, & vanilla.
- Heat while stirring until very warm - about 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat & discard vanilla bean.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl.
- Make custard by slowly whisking 1/3 warm liquid into eggs to temper, then whisk egg mixture into remaining liquid in saucepan.
- Pour warm custard over bread cubes; mix well, & let sit for 10 minutes to absorb liquid.
- Pour into a buttered 13"x 9" baking pan & sprinkle top with brown sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in a pre-heated 375-degree oven.
- Remove & let pudding rest 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with scoop of French vanilla ice cream & garnish with drizzle of chocolate syrup & sprig of mint.